Monday, February 14, 2011

Reimagining Visual Framing (cont'd)

I'm back with another continue due to for some odd reason blogger is not allowing me to write below the pictures or videos I post unless it screws up the alignment of them. But anyways, I will continue to the reason behind this post.

The previous image by Sally Mann I was originally drawn to because it's an image I have seen before. Also, the image itself is quite interesting because of a little girl smoking a cigarette with other children near, including one on stilts. It was such a random object in the background.

But to tell you why I framed the image the way I did, was to focus more on the girl. I changed the shot type from a medium shot to a more of a medium close up to take away the background of the child on stilts, because I honestly don't need it. I also kept in mind the rule of thirds when re-framing it, to put more focus on her face. Her face tells a story and automatically you are drawn to her face. Also, because of depth cues, the little girl who is smoking in the image "pops" out in the picture, because darker tones recede, while lighter tones advance.

In contrast, the two pictures show almost two different subjects, because of the way it was framed. The child on stilts hits part of the rule of thirds area, and the subject of my re-frame is in it completely. The affinity of this is the fact that it is the same exact picture, just zoomed in to focus more on the girl smoking. There are the same colors, same people, same everything, just zoomed in, in the re-framed image. 

There seems to be some text and subtext in the image. For instance, the picture's text shows mainly how a little girl is smoking a cigarette with a girl standing next to her, and a person in the back on stilts. In the subtext, it can mean many different things. Two things mainly pop out to me, is the feeling the girls and the person on stilts is part of a circus, or for some reason, it almost feels like it's war time, such as World War II, I think due to the fact that it's in black and white and a little girl is smoking a cigarette.

Whatever your opinion is on this picture, it can be correct, it's just up to you on whether or not you believe yourself. The way a picture is taken, is creating differences in the story it tells, so think about that next time you take a picture at a party or at a family gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment