Monday, January 17, 2011

Oh, the influences in my life.

I may be a Video Production major at Ohio University, but more often than I find myself finding my creativity from musical influences. I see myself listening to some of my favorite artists, such as A Day to Remember or Conditions, and automatically getting into a very creative mood or even a more proactive mood. Of course, as mentioned before, I am a video major, so I do have influences in that field. As of right now, Christopher Nolan, is one of the most influential people in my life right now.

A Day to Remember - All I Want
I highly recommend to anyone who is reading this right now to click on the link above and listen and watch the video for the song. This song by A Day to Remember, or ADTR for short,  is one of their newer songs, from a recently released LP. This song is very creative with their mix of genres from post-hardcore to pop punk. They've finally began to get wide coverage of their music, and about a week ago were featured on Jimmy Kimmel. When I begin to listen to their music, I am consciously thinking of what they are saying getting pumped up, but their lyrics subconsciously puts me in a very creative and proactive mood. I can never listen to them and not be creative. Actually it's who I am listening to as I type this.

Conditions - When It Won't Save You
Again, I highly recommend to click on the link above.  They do not have a music video like ADTR does for this song, but it is still worth to click on it.  They have a different style from ADTR also, but again their songs get my creative juices flowing. Actually, if you look to the right on my main page, you will notice their lyrics from this song in my "Words" section. Their lyrics always seem to keep me actively trying to figure out the meaning behind every song, even though it seems they are always didactic, and it is simply what is said, is the meaning. Because of this thought process, I am always thinking and it encourages me to be creative more and more often. This band is one of the few bands I can constantly listen to their old and new songs, and I am never nervous about a new song they put out because I know it will be good.

Inception - Trailer
The first time I saw this movie, I was absolutely amazed. I had heard mixed reviews from people who had already seen the movie, but I went in thinking it was going to be a good movie. It actually surpassed my expectations. The entire storyline, all the camera angles, the editing, the soundscapes, everything about this movie, absolutely amazed me. This is all thanks to Christopher Nolan. The writer, director, producer of Inception, and directed and produced other movies such as The Dark Knight and The Prestige. Inception was one of the most creative movies I have seen in the longest time. I am absolutely amazed at it's ability to amaze someone who is very hard to amaze by a movie. His use of tension and release throughout the entire movie. For example, when Dom (Leonardo DiCaprio) and the group is trying to escape the dream world, and used anxiety inducing action scenes, to make every one worry, than relieve them of the tension when they land in the plane and he steps off to go to his family.  Everything about this movie, that Christopher Nolan created, with the help of other talented people such as Lee Smith, is a masterpiece and makes me want to be just as creative as him. His attention to detail, is amazing, and I can't wait to work as hard as him, and maybe even collaborate with him.

I am influenced from different people, but I think it only helps me be a better person creatively, broadening my horizons to not just only have one view. Gotta love music and film.

No comments:

Post a Comment